During the times after the Second World War, when eggs, oil and butter were not that easy to find as today, cakes were baked with surprising ingredients, and this tradition was maintained to this day in central parts of the United States .
American chef Jasper J. Mirabile of Kansas City is the second generation of Italian caterers in this Midwestern town that serves an unusual chocolate cake in his restaurant. It is a cake prepared by his mother’s recipe, which includes mayonnaise.
Yeah, you read it well – mayonnaise. But before you make a yuck face, you need to know that there is a justified reason to add this unexpected ingredient to mum Josephine’s cake. Mayonnaise is put in a biscuit and replaces the oil usually used to make the cake softer and decadent. It also prevents desert from becoming too sweet.
This unexpected practice began after the Second World War when egg, butter and oil shortages dominated, while the first printed recipe dates back to 1927 when the dessert was baked with mayonnaise, walnut, cinnamon and dates.
Do not be afraid to add the mayonnaise (Photo: Stockfood)
Chocolate cake with the addition of mayonnaise in the Jasper’s Italian restaurant you can still buy, although the unexpected ingredient is not in the name of a meal so customers will not be discouraged when ordering. After eating it, it is there are not many people who can guess there’s mayonnaise.
Ingredients for a chocolate cake with mayonnaise:
400 grams of flour
135 grams of non-sweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon of baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
340 grams of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250 ml mayonnaise
320 ml of water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Find your baking sheet and put it aside.
2. Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in the bowl.
3. In another bowl mix eggs, vanilla extract and sugar for about three minutes, at high speed, until the mixture becomes cloudy. Reduce the speed and add the mayonnaise.
4. Add the remaining dry ingredients and water gradually to this mixture with egges until you get a uniform mixture. Put the mixture in the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until you notice the biscuit is done.
5. Let it cool and put melted chocolate on it. Bon appetit!